Bari Zahn, Esq.
Bari Zahn operates as a tax attorney, business advisor and General Counsel and has represented a broad array of multinational clients on U.S. and Cross-Border transactions across all industry sectors. She has supervised legal teams worldwide and has extensive management experience as the Founder, former CEO and General Counsel of a non-profit organization.
Ms. Zahn started her legal career at the United States Tax Court where from 1996 to 1998 she was a law clerk for the Honorable Carolyn Miller Parr. After that, Ms. Zahn worked at some of the most prestigious law firms in the United States and Canada, including Shearman and Sterling and Torys where her practice focused on a broad spectrum of U.S. and cross-border transactions, including stock and asset acquisitions, tax-free mergers, recapitalizations and similar corporate reorganizations. She also handled tax controversy matters, including the representation of clients before the IRS and the New York Taxing Authorities. And she advised state and federal instrumentalities and non-U.S. multinationals on U.S. real property transactions via the use of tax-efficient real estate structures.
In addition to representing global institutions, Ms. Zahn has advised family offices with their tax planning, corporate matters, employment and other legal issues. She has also restructured family-owned businesses, advised private clients with their individual tax and trust and estate planning and has organized and/or advised tax-exempt entities and private family foundations. Ms. Zahn has published articles on the tax implications of Code Section 409A on deferred compensation arrangements and she has advised executives, high net worth individuals and multi-national corporations on the subject matter.
In 2015, Ms. Zahn became Managing Partner of the largest Chinese-owned and operated law firm in New York City.
While at her former firms, Ms. Zahn continued to act as outside general counsel for small businesses and private clients via Zahn Law, while providing tax advisory and business generation capabilities to diverse-owned law firms. In 2017, using a similar business model, Ms. Zahn formed Zahn Business Consultants providing business development services to other service professionals, such as accountants, RIAs and family offices.That sameyear, she became Managing Director of Traust Sollus Wealth Management (now merged with Mercer Advisors).
Along with her work at Zahn Law Group, Ms. Zahn currently acts as Special International Tax Counsel to Falcon Rappaport & Berkman,PLLC, Outside General Counsel at Hughes Energy Group, and Principalat Andesi International Tax Advisors. She is proud to have been selected for membership in STEP –Society of Trusts & Estates Practitioners.
Bari Zahn wins Brava SmartCEO Awardhttp://smartceo.com/2015-new-york-brava-bari-zahn/ http://www.daiassociates.com/dai-and-associates-partners-celebrate-at-smartceo-brava-awards/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcIoTbROcVk
Interview with NGLCChttp://nglccny.blogspot.com/2013/03/10-questions-with-bari-zahn.html
Interview with Gay City News re: organization Ms. Zahn founded in late uncle's honorhttps://www.gaycitynews.nyc/stories/2004/11/aids-hero-remenbered-2004-05-26.html
Named "New Yorker of the Week" for her AIDS awareness work among teens in the city, NY1 News; interviewed on June 24, 2005
- "Non-qualified Deferred Compensation Arrangements," Taxation of Executive Compensation and Retirement, February 2009
- "Canadian Companies—Act Now to Ensure Deferred Compensation Arrangements Comply with U.S. Tax Laws Under Section 409A," Taxation of Executive Compensation and Retirement, vol. 19, no. 6, Federated Press, Toronto, September/October 2008
- "Corporate Governance: American Jobs Creation Act," Lexpert, April 1, 2005
- "The Potential Effect of the American Jobs Creation Act," co-authored with Christina Medland, Taxation of Executive Compensation and Retirement, Federated Press, Toronto, December/January 2005
- International and Domestic
- Tax Planning
- Tax Structuring & Advisory
- Trusts & Estates
- Corporate & Business Matters
- Family Offices & Private Clients
- Employment Disputes
- China Practice
Bar and Court Admissions
- State of New York
- The Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Juris Doctor, Brooklyn Law School, 1995
- Bachelor of Arts, New York University, 1988
- Hon. Carolyn Miller Parr
- U.S. Tax Court